Saturday, February 21, 2015

2015 Oscar Predictions
















Unfortunately, I don't think that I'll be able to witness the glories of The Oscars this years. #bummer.
But that doesn't mean I can't participate in spirit...without (or with, whatever floats your boat) ado, here are my Oscar predictions with some needless opinions thrown in there for good measure.

Best Picture:
Prediction: "Boyhood"
Preference: "The Grand Budapest Hotel"

There's nothing wrong with Linklater's "Boyhood", it's a fantastic movie and one that really hits you in all the right soft spots; but Wes Anderson's film is nothing if not flawless. The competition here will be from "Birdman" which looks highly likely to knock "Boyhood" from its awards throne; but I don't think that will happen.

Best Director:
Prediction: Richard Linklater
Preference: Wes Anderson

Anderson deserves this one not just for his body of work, but for a stellar job in directing. I think Iñárritu might win, since he just won the DGA but the whole "12 Years in the Making" thing I think will propel Linklater to a deserved gold.

Best Actor:
Prediction: Eddie Redmayne
Preference: Eddie Redmayne

Not to pull a total hipster move, but I liked this dude before the Academy. Redmayne's performance was the central part of "The Theory of Everything" and it will earn him his dues.

Best Actress:
Prediction: Julianne Moore
Preference: Rosamund Pike

I should clarify something here, I haven't seen "Still Alice" but I hear that Moore is tremendous in it, so I don't begrudge her the Oscar because she is a sensationally talented woman. Pike's performance was excellent so it's the only thing I could prefer, since it's the one I've seen.

Best Supporting Actor:
Prediction: J.K. Simmons
Preference: Mark Ruffalo

Again, I haven't seen "Whiplash" but Mark Ruffalo was the best part of "Foxcatcher"

Best Supporting Actress:
Prediction: Patricia Arquette
Preference: Patricia Arquette

This one is for sure. She is golden.

Best Original Screenplay:
Prediction: "The Grand Budapest Hotel"
Preference: "The Grand Budapest Hotel"

This will be Anderson's first Oscar and totally needed. His screenplays are ridiculously wonderful and quirky.

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Prediction: "The Imitation Game"
Preference: ?

I'm not really invested in this. Some think that it will go to "Whiplash"; but I couldn't really say. The Academy loves the Weinstein Company and a gay rights movie mixed with wartime sentiments and period costumes and British actors...seems like a good bet.

Best Cinematography:
Prediction: Emmanuel Lubezki
Preference: Emmanuel Lubezki

I always like to include this one. Lubezski has been such a favorite of mine for his work with Malick and it's so good to see him finally getting rightfully honored. Back-to-back wins for "Gravity" and now "Birdman".


There you have it, I feel more confident than last year, particularly with the acting categories; but we'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment